Politics in Action

Political Shenanagans and the Deals Politicians Make. P. U. to the rest of us

Name:
Location: McHenry, Il., United States

Union electrician for 30+ years.Grew up in the 60's. Viet Nam Vet. Started out as pretty liberal, but... now I'm getting older.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Memories from a By-Gone Era

WOW! What a sight to behold. I never thought I'd see anything like this.

Let me start from the beginning. Today America honored the Tuskegee Airmen for their valor and service to the U.S. during WW2. This is something that's long overdue. I saw the movie, I bought it to see it.

Anyway, there on the dais was the honorable senator Robert Byrd. Been in congress forever. He was all smiles and looking proud as he looked on. Kinda like he just had a new grandchild. He looked as if he had something to do with the creation of the group or was one of their main supporters. He just beamed.

Then reality set in. It brought back memories of the old days. I can't remember exactly when this event took place, but it was in the late 60's or early 70's.

Yep, back then the nation was caught up in the civil rights movement. I was pretty young back then, but as I remember it, the honorable sen. Robt. Byrd was a loyal member of the Ku Klux Klan, along with others. There was a major row over the fact that some senators were admitted members and wouldn't renounce their memberships. All of a sudden, I came home one day, turned on the news, and after the Viet Nam coverage, there was the honorable sen. Robert Byrd on TV, tearing up his membership card. To me, back then, it seemed like it took years of brow-beating for the honorable sen. Robt. Byrd to throw in the towel.

Ah yes, the hypocrisy of it all. I almost died when I saw him standing there today. Just when you think that you've seen it all, a brick hits you in the head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home